Eric's Pages
     Eric 1
     Eric 2
     Eric 3
     Eric 4
Rosanne 1
Our Photos

Troubled times were at hand in 1964. The world was in a very troubled state between the Communist threat, nuclear proliferation and developing tensions in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. The conflict in that region continued to escalate, first under President John F. Kennedy, then under his successor, President Lyndon Johnson. Regardless of where you stand politically, these were times of division here at home in the USA, and the cause of many wounds that still do not heal. I am known by many as a "flag waver," and I readily admit that I have always felt that I live in the greatest country in the world! Although I believe 100% that one owes his allegiance and his service to his country, this was one     situation where countless young American lives (more than 50,000) were lost for no good reason. Having said that, I also believe that those young men who served in the military during this time, and were fortunate to return, deserve our praise, our understanding, and our total support.

Under the guise of providing assistance to these three governments, US troops were sent there in what I believe to be a futile battle against the spread of Communism, and the government sent many of our soldiers to fight this undeclared war. This country was divided between those who supported the war, those who resisted and denounced the war, and those who, regardless of their beliefs, were drafted into the war by the Selective Service and sent into battle.

While I was in college, I saw deferments being cancelled, so I made a decision to enlist in the National Guard. If I had to serve, I was going to serve my way, and minimize the chances of my being sent to fight a war that, frankly, I could not believe in. I also knew that the National Guard would not be called to active duty unless Congress declared a state of war, and that did not seem to be very likely. At the end of my second year of college, I decided to drop school temporarily and seek work in the electronics industry while I awaited my call-up for active duty (basic training).

I was sworn into the Guard on June 1, 1965 at Jamaica Armory, home of the 104th Field Artillery, and was assigned to the Radar Section. The irony in this is that my view of the draft situation was absolutely correct, and I received my draft notice in the mail five days later! My entry into basic training was supposed to occur within four months, but those who remember that time also remember that on July 1, 1965, the draft was suddenly raised to 40,000 by President Johnson, and my entry into basic training was delayed for a year and a half until January 7, 1967.

Basic training was everything that I"d heard it would be, but I was prepared for whatever the Army could throw at me in the way of pressure, mental challenges, etc., and decided to become the "company clown" in order to survive this experience. Fort Gordon, in Augusta, GA, was not the ideal place for a kid from Brooklyn, but I made the most of it.

Sure, I received all of the training necessary to become a soldier, but I also survived the "brainwashing" process that is basic training. I must say that I enjoyed most of the experience, but because of my attitude, was forced to do more pushups that anyone else in my company of 258 men. Not a problem for me once I began to build my physical strength, and I must admit that I have never since been in such terrific physical condition!

After basic training, I was shipped to Fort Sill in Lawton, OK for advanced training as a counter-artillery radar operator where I finished school second in my class. It was a real shot in the arm when my training officer offered me instructor status at the radar school, and I must say that he was surprised that I declined his offer. To me, it seemed imminent that after transferring to regular army status, when all of my time was plotted out, there was no guarantee that I wouldn"t be shipped to "Nam", and in my job, I would be a primary target for the enemy. On July 7, 1967 I was released from active duty and returned to my unit in Jamaica, NY, where I spent the balance of my military time between evening and weekend drills, and two-week active duty tours each summer at Camp Drum near Watertown, NY. In 1969, we were activated during the postal strike, and as a result, I was discharged from the Guard eleven months early on July 1, 1970, having achieved the rank of Staff Sergeant. They offered a promotion to Sergeant First Class if I would "re-up" to no avail- it was time to return to full civilian status.

Click the buttons at the left to progress through my pages, or click here to go to my page 3.